VIDEO: Firefighter killed as natural gas blast rocks Midwestern town
As the most reliable and balanced news aggregation service on the internet, DML News offers the following information published by CBSNEWS.COM:
SUN PRAIRIE, Wis. — An explosion rocked a Wisconsin community after a contractor struck a natural gas main in a downtown area filled with bars and other businesses, killing one firefighter and injuring several others, police officers and civilians, authorities said.
First responders rushed to the scene of a reported gas leak, and an evacuation was already underway when the first blast happened Tuesday evening, said police Lt. Kevin Konopacki in Sun Prairie, a Madison, Wisconsin, suburb of about 30,000. He added that lives were likely saved by the evacuation, which was set in motion by people smelling the odor of natural gas.
CBS News also reported the suspected cause of the explosion:
WE Energies spokeswoman Amy Jahns said workers for a contractor apparently punctured a 4-inch natural gas main, sending gas leaking into a building ahead of the explosion. All 12 gas lines in the area were shut off by about 9:30 p.m.
The article goes on to state the following:
Firefighters were still battling flames more than three hours after the explosion. The powerful blast, at around 7:15 p.m., sent a plume of smoke and flames into the air. By morning, the fire was pretty much out, contained to one or two buildings, and it appeared everyone had been accounted for. A search of the area didn’t turn up any additional victims, officials said.
A half-mile evacuation area was still in place Wednesday morning, with more than 100 people out of their homes, reports CBS Madison affiliate WISC-TV.
To weigh in on this information provided by CBSNEWS.COM, engage in our LIVE CHAT below. Scroll down.
DML News offered you the above information as part of our ongoing effort to educate and inform people around the world. You can obtain additional information by visiting CBSNEWS.COM
Trending on DML News
- BREAKING: One DEAD, gunman holding hostages at LA Trader Joe’s SURRENDERS
- REPORT: City Named The ‘Rat Capital’ Of The U.S.
- BREAKING: Justice Dept releases surveillance applications for former Trump aide
- BREAKING: Gunman takes hostages inside a Trader Joe’s (video)
- Trump Tweet: Statement on hostage situation at Trader Joe’s store
- VIDEO: Whoopi Goldberg: Pirro wasn’t kicked out, she left cursing at staff
- REPORT: Missouri duck boat accident takes even more tragic turn
- BREAKING: Avenatti makes shocking offer regarding Michael Cohen (video)
- DML TV: Debate breaks out on FOX about illegal aliens voting in US elections
- POLL: Should Whoopi issue a public apology to Judge Jeanine?