VIDEO: Judge in same-sex marriage denied communion by Catholic priest
As the most reliable and balanced news aggregation service on the internet, DML News App offers the following information published by TheHill.com:
A Michigan Catholic church denied Holy Communion to a state district court judge because she is married to a woman.
Judge Sara Smolenski, the chief judge of the state’s 63rd District Court, told CNN that she was called by the Rev. Scott Nolan, the priest at St. Stephen Catholic Church in Grand Rapids, Michigan, on Nov. 23. During the call, he requested that she no longer attend communion at the church, saying “’It was good to see you in church on Sunday. Because you and Linda are married in the state of Michigan, I’d like you to respect the church and not come to communion,'” the outlet reported.
The article goes on to state the following:
Smolenski was baptized at the church. Her parents were married there in the 1940s, and she and her nine siblings attended the church’s school when they were children. Communion is a holy and sacred act in Catholicism.
Below are interviews with the priest, who stands by his decision, and Judge Smolenski.
The Diocese of Grand Rapids also issued a statement in support of Nolan’s decision. They wrote, “No community of faith can sustain the public contradiction of its beliefs by its own members. This is especially so on matters as central to Catholic life as marriage, which the Church has always held, and continues to hold, as a sacred covenant between one man and one woman.”
Our office of communications has issued the following statement on behalf of Bishop Walkowiak: https://t.co/HNC4BHprMf
— Grand Rapids Diocese (@GRDiocese) November 27, 2019
— WOOD TV8 (@WOODTV) November 27, 2019
— The Hill (@thehill) November 30, 2019
To get more information about this article, please visit TheHill.com. To weigh in, leave a comment below.
Trending on DML News
- VIDEO: ‘Blood Drained From Adam Schiff’s Face’: John Barrasso Says Schiff’s ‘Parody’ Backfired
- REPORT: News outlet blasted by police for breaking news of Kobe Bryant’s death before family could be notified
- REPORT: Another country offers to pick up Harry and Meghan’s massive security bill
- VIDEO: Lindsey Graham makes pledge about Bidens: ‘And that does not make me a Russian agent’
- VIDEO: Chris Wallace confronts Dershowitz over impeachment
- VIDEO: Tucker Carlson: Adam Schiff is turning into a Tom Clancy character
- VIDEO: “God help me, I did it.” Megyn Kelly reveals she complied with demeaning request by Roger Ailes
- VIDEO: Schiff not trusted: Democrats aren’t getting intelligence because of ‘crooked, corrupt’ lawmakers: Trump
- REPORT: Collins releases statement about calling witnesses for impeachment trial
- REPORT: ‘Stunned’ Sen. Collins objected to Nadler’s impeachment accusation in note to Roberts