VIDEO: Pelosi undermines Trump abroad on US-UK trade deal
As the most reliable and balanced news aggregation service on the internet, DML News App offers the following information published by FOXNEWS.COM:
House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, speaking on foreign soil Wednesday, created some domestic tensions over President Trump’s call for a U.S.-U.K. trade deal should Britain leave the European Union — telling the Irish Parliament that such a deal stands “no chance” if Brexit hurts the 1998 Irish peace accords.
“I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, we must ensure that nothing happens in Brexit discussions that imperils the Good Friday accord – including, but not limited to, the seamless border between the Irish Republic and Northern Ireland,” she told the Irish Parliament.
The article goes on to state the following:
“Let me be clear: if the Brexit deal undermines the Good Friday accords, there will be no chance of a U.S.-U.K. trade agreement,” said Pelosi, D-Calif., who is in the country as part of a U.S. delegation.
Pelosi’s reference to the Good Friday agreement refers to a complex issue related to Britain’s departure from the bloc, and how to reconcile trade between Northern Ireland (part of the U.K. and therefore leaving the bloc) and the independent Ireland (which would be staying in the E.U.) without the formation of a “hard border” between the two. The Good Friday Agreement brought an end to “The Troubles” that dogged Ireland for decades, and brought closer cooperation between Ireland and Northern Ireland — including allowing people in Northern Ireland to identify as Irish, British or both.
“We made it clear to all that if there is any harm to the Good Friday accords: no trade agreement.”
US House of Representatives speaker Nancy Pelosi says that the prospect of a post-Brexit US-UK trade deal rests on maintaining the Good Friday Agreement. pic.twitter.com/PziGi92V6L
— Channel 4 News (@Channel4News) April 16, 2019
Nancy Pelosi tells the Oireachtas that “we must ensure that nothing happens in the Brexit discussions that imperils the Good Friday Accord, including, but not limited to, the seamless border between the Irish Republic and Northern Ireland” pic.twitter.com/OjhsI2YGQB
— RTÉ News (@rtenews) April 17, 2019
Nancy Pelosi gets the biggest applause speaking in The Oireachtas, for “Let me be clear: If anything in the Brexit process threatens the Good Friday Agreement there will be no UK-US trade deal.”
— Alex Andreou (@sturdyAlex) April 17, 2019
At talk in London, Speaker Pelosi says that if UK Brexit undermines Ireland’s Good Friday Agreement in any way “there would be no chance of US-UK trade deal…Don’t even think about it.” @LSEpublicevents pic.twitter.com/9D6QyURLj7
— William Booth (@BoothWilliam) April 15, 2019
Pleased to have had a candid discussion with @jeremycorbyn today about the direction of Brexit, Northern Ireland, NATO, acting boldly on climate, protecting human rights, and the necessity of forcefully confronting anti-Semitism & Islamophobia. pic.twitter.com/xadfAaZO8d
— Nancy Pelosi (@SpeakerPelosi) April 14, 2019
To get more information about this article, please visit FOXNEWS.COM. To weigh in, leave a comment below.
Trending on DML News
- VIDEO: FL sheriff releases footage of moment boy, 15, arrested for threatening a school shooting
- REPORT: Democrat councilwoman sworn in on Dr. Seuss book [PHOTOS]
- REPORT: California Supreme Court rules on lawsuit challenging unusual bullet identification law
- REPORT: Fact Check: Elizabeth Warren Crowd Size Reports May Be Inaccurate | Breitbart
- REPORT: Alyssa Milano Makes Shocking Statements While Confessing Back-to-Back Abortions
- VIDEO: NYT columnist points out the ‘scandal’ that media didn’t cover on Omar, Tlaib Israel trip
- REPORT: Daily Mail: Photo of Epstein Pal at In-N-Out Was Staged
- BREAKING: Network beats Fox News in key ratings for first time in 17 years
- REPORT: The Mooch Says He Was ‘Wrong’ About Trump In Blistering Op-Ed
- REPORT: Gov’t Delivers 100,000 Cheap Visa-Workers to Disney, Tourist Industry