VIDEO: Virginia Democrats reiterate calls for Northam, Fairfax to resign
As the most reliable and balanced news aggregation service on the internet, DML News offers the following information published by CBSNEWS.COM:
Democratic Virginia Reps. Don Beyer and Jennifer Wexton renewed their calls for Gov. Ralph Northam and Lt. Governor Justin Fairfax to step down over their respective controversies.
“I don’t believe he can effectively lead the commonwealth at this time, understanding he’s feeling contrition, but we need somebody who can address the wrongs of the past but take Virginia into the future,” Wexton said on “Face the Nation” Sunday. Her comments come after Northam, a fellow Democrat, told “CBS This Morning” co-anchor Gayle King in an exclusive interview that he’s “not going anywhere.”
The article goes on to state the following:
Northam has been embroiled in controversy over revelations of a racist photo on his medical school yearbook page and his admission to wearing blackface when he was younger. Fairfaxby two women of sexual assault and rape, which he has denied. Both have said they plan to remain in office despite calls for their ouster.
Beyer agreed with Wexton, telling “Face the Nation” that Northam needs to step down despite his “reconciliation tour.”
“The great confusion last weekend, whether he wasn’t sure he was in the Klan robe or the blackface, has just sacrificed so much of his credibility and his ability to lead,” Beyer said, referring to the photo in Northam’s yearbook. “I respect him, I know he wants to rehabilitate his reputation and even his sense of moral compass, but he sacrificed so much of his ability to govern effectively.”
Don Beyer made a similar point on Face the Nation: “The Post poll that we’ve talked about before — one of things we missed is that 40 percent of black Virginians think he shouldn’t remain. That’s a damning number for a Democratic governor.” https://t.co/ObTukJlaUQ
— Fenit Nirappil (@FenitN) February 10, 2019
To get more information about this article, please visit CBSNEWS.COM. To weigh in, leave a comment below.
Trending on DML News
- REPORT: GOP signals unease with Barr’s gun plan
- REPORT: NYT reporters make new claim against Kavanaugh
- TRUMP TWEETS: Responds to news report about ‘whistleblower complaint’
- REPORT: Student’s questionable school lunch post goes viral: ‘Sad excuse for a meal’
- BREAKING: Patriots star dumped by Nike after being accused of rape
- Florida sheriff reports about armed officer on school campus
- REPORT: Two former Congressional Black Caucus chairmen back 2020 candidate
- REPORT: ‘Kangaroo justice’: William Barr slams Obama Education Department
- VIDEO: “I hung up the phone and cried”: Dana Perino on the setback that led her to the White House
- BREAKING: ICE releases over 1,000 migrants onto streets in Texas and New Mexico this week