WATCH: GOP Senator calls for primary challenger to Trump in 2020
On Sunday, frequent Trump detractor and retiring Sen. Jeff Flake (R-Ariz.) has issued a call for a Republican challenger to the president in the 2020 election.
Flake was interviewed on NBC’s Chuck Todd on “Meet the Press” when he responded to Todd’s query about whether President Donald Trump needs to be challenged by “somebody who espouses [Flake’s] views.”
“Yes, I do. I do. I mean, it would be a tough go in a Republican primary. The Republican Party is the Trump party right now. But that’s not to say it will stay that way,” Flake replied.
The Hill reports: The retiring Arizona [Senator] has long been one of Trump’s chief critics in the Republican Party, often lashing out at the president for his immigration and economic policies, as well as for his bombastic rhetoric. He criticized the Trump administration when announcing he would not run again for Senate.Flake made similar comments earlier this month, and would not rule out a 2020 challenge to Trump.
“I do think the president will have a challenge from the Republican Party, I think there should be,” Flake said. “I also think that there will be an independent challenge, particularly if the Democrats insist on putting somebody up from the far left of the party.”
Flake has stoked speculation about a potential 2020 bid with an upcoming visit to New Hampshire.
Meanwhile, Trump last night jumped into full campaign mode at a rally in Pennsylvania for GOP congressional candidate Rick Saccone.
At the event, Trump revealed his new campaign slogan: “Keep America Great.”
Trending on DML News
- VIDEO: FOX affiliate staffer fired after TV station airs grotesque, altered video of President Trump
- BREAKING: Anti-Trump activists hold rallies across US to call for impeachment [VIDEOS, PICTURES]
- TRILOGY DVD (They Come to America I, II, and III)
- VIDEO: Trump comments on Navy UFO sightings
- REPORT: Popular teen magazine promotes prostitution, sexting, to an audience of minors
- VIDEO: Fan who threw beer on NFL player should be prosecuted, agent says
- REPORT: Muslim Mob Burns Christian Church After Arrest
- REPORT: NYPD cop identified who killed himself behind Staten Island precinct
- Audio from Amtrak derailment (listen)
- REPORT: Dominican model in ‘love triangle between David Ortiz and a drug lord’