WATCH: GOP Senator calls for primary challenger to Trump in 2020
On Sunday, frequent Trump detractor and retiring Sen. Jeff Flake (R-Ariz.) has issued a call for a Republican challenger to the president in the 2020 election.
Flake was interviewed on NBC’s Chuck Todd on “Meet the Press” when he responded to Todd’s query about whether President Donald Trump needs to be challenged by “somebody who espouses [Flake’s] views.”
“Yes, I do. I do. I mean, it would be a tough go in a Republican primary. The Republican Party is the Trump party right now. But that’s not to say it will stay that way,” Flake replied.
The Hill reports: The retiring Arizona [Senator] has long been one of Trump’s chief critics in the Republican Party, often lashing out at the president for his immigration and economic policies, as well as for his bombastic rhetoric. He criticized the Trump administration when announcing he would not run again for Senate.Flake made similar comments earlier this month, and would not rule out a 2020 challenge to Trump.
“I do think the president will have a challenge from the Republican Party, I think there should be,” Flake said. “I also think that there will be an independent challenge, particularly if the Democrats insist on putting somebody up from the far left of the party.”
Flake has stoked speculation about a potential 2020 bid with an upcoming visit to New Hampshire.
Meanwhile, Trump last night jumped into full campaign mode at a rally in Pennsylvania for GOP congressional candidate Rick Saccone.
At the event, Trump revealed his new campaign slogan: “Keep America Great.”
Trending on DML News
- CLAIM: Sri Lanka: Seven arrested for Easter Sunday jihad massacres, death toll passes 190
- VIDEO: April Ryan slams Mike Huckabee in fiery Twitter feud
- VIDEO: President Trump Keeps His Promise To 95-Year-Old WWII Vet
- Text messages discredit anti-gun march organizer’s alleged statement claiming Hunter Pollack was invited to speak at march
- REPORT: BuzzFeed News editor crushed by Twitter for jab at Trump over Sri Lanka bombings
- VIDEO: Up to 300 teenagers involved in brawl at amusement park
- BREAKING: Nunes files HUGE lawsuit alleging conspiracy to derail Clinton, Russia probes
- Students arrested for bringing weapons to Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School
- How You Can Help Stop Amnesty
- REPORT: JFK customs officer arrested for stealing thousands from customers’ bags