White House: Trump didn’t ‘chicken out’ with gun control plan (VIDEO)
During Monday’s White House press briefing, President Donald Trump’s gun plan was questioned as reporters wondered if he had “chickened out” and “backed off” some recommendations under pressure from the National Rifle Association (NRA).
The White House denied the allegation, saying Trump “hasn’t backed away” from his support for expanding background checks or raising the age limit on gun purchases, even though neither was addressed in recommendations the administration released on Sunday night.
White House press secretary Sarah Sanders said the president supports raising age limits on gun purchases and expanding background checks, but she said both would require political pressure and further review.
“He can’t make them happen with a broad stroke of the pen,” Sanders said. “You have to have some congressional component to do some of these things, and without that support, it’s not as possible.”
The Hill reports: The NRA, which contributed heavily to Trump’s election campaign in 2016, opposes both measures.
“He hasn’t backed away from these things at all,” Sanders said at a press briefing, where she faced numerous questions on the issue, including from a Washington Post reporter who said the president seemed “petrified” by opposition from the NRA and wondered whether he had “chickened out.”
“They’re still outlined in the plan,” Sanders said.
Sanders made the case that Trump is focusing first on proposals that have “broad bipartisan support” or that could be accomplished “immediately” through the regulatory process or federal action.
Facebook has SIGNIFICANTLY reduced the distribution of DML NEWS posts, and instead fills newsfeeds with news from the mainstream media. The way to fight back is by sharing our posts with your family and friends. Please take a moment now and click the share button. SHARE NOW
Trending on DML News
- REPORT: Disturbing details emerge on Fox meteorologist who had eye surgery, then took her own life
- BREAKING: Chris Christie releases statement on White House chief of staff role
- REPORT: Eight newly elected Dem governors skip out on meeting with Trump
- REPORT: Maxine Waters’ Campaign ‘Debt’ to Daughter Skyrockets
- BREAKING: Fiance of missing Colorado mom driven away by deputies as FBI search team moves in on his ranch (VIDEO)
- REPORT: Venezuelans now regretting gun ban that stripped them of their weapons
- REPORT: Justice Department releases total cost of Russia investigation since May 2017; it’s staggering
- BREAKING: Beloved Fox TV meteorologist and mother-of-two takes her own life
- REPORT: Beloved holiday singer opens up about his son’s fight against liver cancer
- POLL: Is Michael Cohen telling the truth?