White House: Trump didn’t ‘chicken out’ with gun control plan (VIDEO)
During Monday’s White House press briefing, President Donald Trump’s gun plan was questioned as reporters wondered if he had “chickened out” and “backed off” some recommendations under pressure from the National Rifle Association (NRA).
The White House denied the allegation, saying Trump “hasn’t backed away” from his support for expanding background checks or raising the age limit on gun purchases, even though neither was addressed in recommendations the administration released on Sunday night.
White House press secretary Sarah Sanders said the president supports raising age limits on gun purchases and expanding background checks, but she said both would require political pressure and further review.
“He can’t make them happen with a broad stroke of the pen,” Sanders said. “You have to have some congressional component to do some of these things, and without that support, it’s not as possible.”
The Hill reports: The NRA, which contributed heavily to Trump’s election campaign in 2016, opposes both measures.
“He hasn’t backed away from these things at all,” Sanders said at a press briefing, where she faced numerous questions on the issue, including from a Washington Post reporter who said the president seemed “petrified” by opposition from the NRA and wondered whether he had “chickened out.”
“They’re still outlined in the plan,” Sanders said.
Sanders made the case that Trump is focusing first on proposals that have “broad bipartisan support” or that could be accomplished “immediately” through the regulatory process or federal action.
For more on this story, click the "read more" button below.
Trending on DML News
- BREAKING: Hillary Clinton issues statement about comments she made about Trump voters
- Cirque du Soleil performer dies in fall at Tampa show (video)
- VIDEO: Jailhouse video shows deputies watching and laughing as inmate dies
- Trump Tweets: Hannity and the Witch Hunt!
- Sen. Graham calls for Senate hearing on McCabe firing and makes ominous prediction (video)
- Trey Gowdy warns Trump not to fire Mueller (video)
- Comey’s book, not even out yet, hits major milestone
- REPORT: Facebook’s lack of leadership could sink the company
- POLL: Do you accept Hillary’s explanation for making comments about Trump voters
- BREAKING: Woman killed by self-driving Uber car (video)