BREAKING: British ambassador to Iran arrested in Tehran
As the most reliable and balanced news aggregation service on the internet, DML News App offers the following information published by TELEGRAPH.CO.UK:
Britain’s ambassador to Iran, Rob Macaire, has been arrested and held for several hours after attending a vigil for the victims of the Ukraine plane crash which turned into demonstration.
Details of his arrest were announced by the country’s semi-official Tasnim news agency and prompted an angry response from Foreign Secretary, Dominic Raab.
The article goes on to state the following:
It is understood that the event which Mr Macaire attended had been advertised as a vigil at Amir Kabir University for the 176 victims of the Tehran plane crash last week.
Macaire left when the vigil turned into a protest, the report said. He was arrested on his way back to the embassy after getting a haircut.
The Washington Examiner reports that a diplomatic source said Macaire had been detained “possibly by security officers acting without authorization.” According to the Telegraph, his release came after 3 hours and after the intervention of the Iranian foreign ministry.
“The arrest of our ambassador in Tehran without grounds or explanation is a flagrant violation of international law,” said Foreign Secretary Dominic Raab. “The Iranian government is at a cross-roads moment. It can continue its march towards pariah status with all the political and economic isolation that entails, or take steps to de-escalate tensions and engage in a diplomatic path forwards.”
The Iranian regime arrested the British ambassador to Iran. This violates the Vienna Convention, which the regime has a notorious history of violating. We call on the regime to formally apologize to the UK for violating his rights and to respect the rights of all diplomats.
— Morgan Ortagus (@statedeptspox) January 11, 2020
British ambassador to Iran arrested at protest in Tehran https://t.co/pCHLgYXsXp
— The Independent (@Independent) January 11, 2020
Reports breaking that the British Ambassador to Iran has been arrested by the Islamic Republic for photographing protests against the regime.
— Michael Dickson (@michaeldickson) January 11, 2020
It is official! The Mullah regime has lost its mind. They arrested the British Ambassador to Iran 😳 https://t.co/kO9L1z6RFt
— Dalia Ziada (@daliaziada) January 11, 2020
Rob Macaire, the British ambassador to Iran, was detained “for a few hours” for allegedly “instigating and organizing suspicious movements” in front of the Amir Kabir University, according to Iran’s semi-official Tasnim news agency’s report.https://t.co/bGfosxX2yu
— Al Arabiya English (@AlArabiya_Eng) January 11, 2020
To get more information about this article, please visit TELEGRAPH.CO.UK. To weigh in, leave a comment below.
Trending on DML News
- VIDEO: ‘Blood Drained From Adam Schiff’s Face’: John Barrasso Says Schiff’s ‘Parody’ Backfired
- REPORT: Another country offers to pick up Harry and Meghan’s massive security bill
- VIDEO: Lindsey Graham makes pledge about Bidens: ‘And that does not make me a Russian agent’
- VIDEO: Tucker Carlson: Adam Schiff is turning into a Tom Clancy character
- REPORT: News outlet blasted by police for breaking news of Kobe Bryant’s death before family could be notified
- VIDEO: “God help me, I did it.” Megyn Kelly reveals she complied with demeaning request by Roger Ailes
- VIDEO: Martha MacCallum calls out Eric Swalwell on impeachment process
- VIDEO: Schiff not trusted: Democrats aren’t getting intelligence because of ‘crooked, corrupt’ lawmakers: Trump
- REPORT: Collins releases statement about calling witnesses for impeachment trial
- REPORT: ‘Stunned’ Sen. Collins objected to Nadler’s impeachment accusation in note to Roberts