BREAKING: Crackdown: Trump deploying Border Patrol elite units to these sanctuary cities
As the most reliable and balanced news aggregation service on the internet, DML News App offers the following information published by NYTimes.com:
The Trump administration is deploying law enforcement tactical units from the southern border as part of a supercharged arrest operation in sanctuary cities across the country, an escalation in the president’s battle against localities that refuse to participate in immigration enforcement.
The specially trained officers are being sent to cities including Chicago and New York to boost the enforcement power of local Immigration and Customs Enforcement officers, according to two officials who are familiar with the secret operation. Additional agents are expected to be sent to San Francisco, Los Angeles, Atlanta, Houston, Boston, New Orleans, Detroit and Newark, N.J.
The article goes on to state the following:
The move reflects President Trump’s persistence in cracking down on so-called sanctuary cities, localities that have refused to cooperate in handing over immigrants targeted for deportation to federal authorities. It comes soon after the Justice Department and Department of Homeland Security announced a series of measures that will affect both American citizens and immigrants living in those places.
The New York Times reported that the deployment was confirmed by CBP spokesman Lawrence Payne, who said 100 officers are being sent to work with ICE during the months of February through May, “in order to enhance the integrity of the immigration system, protect public safety, and strengthen our national security.”
Oakland, California mayor Libby Schaaf declared in a Twitter post, “Don’t bring it to Oakland. Our residents deserve safety + sanctuary in our streets — not tactical border agents. Oakland will remain the most unapologetic sanctuary city in America.”
Don’t bring it to Oakland. Our residents deserve safety + sanctuary in our streets — not tactical border agents. Oakland will remain the most unapologetic sanctuary city in America.https://t.co/cADl7CEenP
— Libby Schaaf (@LibbySchaaf) February 14, 2020
2020 Democrat presidential candidate Tom Steyer responded to the news, tweeting, “Donald Trump is militarizing his deportation force. A Commander-in-Chief should never turn armed forces against its own people. Retweet if you agree.”
Donald Trump is militarizing his deportation force. A Commander-in-Chief should never turn armed forces against its own people. Retweet if you agree.https://t.co/etvR4f6jbM
— Tom Steyer (@TomSteyer) February 14, 2020
NEW: The administration is sending Border Patrol tactical units to sanctuary cities for a supercharged arrest operation starting this weekend. With @KannoYoungs & @mirjordan, @anniecorreal, and @viaSimonRomero https://t.co/ZAE1UsbnQE
— Caitlin Dickerson (@itscaitlinhd) February 14, 2020
To get more information about this article, please visit NYTimes.com. To weigh in, leave a comment below.
Trending on DML News
- REPORT: Wife of former New Jersey mayor found dead from self-inflicted gunshot
- REPORT: The Nurse Was Holding Up. Then Her 3 Close Relatives Were Brought In.
- VIDEO: Here’s when New York’s coronavirus apex is likely to hit
- UPDATE: New York’s darkest day: Cuomo gives stunning new figures on state’s coronavirus deaths
- REPORT: Leaked papers reveal SHOCKING coronavirus cases, deaths that US hospitals are secretly preparing for
- REPORT: Maryland governor issues emergency order in response to coronavirus spread
- BREAKING: China makes admission about coronavirus whistleblower doctor punished by police, who died from the virus
- REPORT: NY hospitals treating coronavirus patients with VITAMIN after promising results
- VIDEO: Dr. Fauci estimates when social distancing guidelines can be lifted
- REPORT: New York co-op kicked volunteering doctor out of brother’s apartment