BREAKING: EU official calls on Turkey to halt Syria attack
As the most reliable and balanced news aggregation service on the internet, DML News App offers the following information published by APNEWS.COM:
WASHINGTON (AP) — The Latest developments following President Donald Trump’s decision to abandon Syrian Kurdish fighters ahead of an expected Turkish offensive into northeastern Syria (all times local):
A top European Union official is calling on Turkey to halt its military operation in northern Syria and is warning that the EU will not be paying to help Ankara set up any safe zone there.
The article goes on to state the following:
Speaking to EU lawmakers Wednesday, European Commission President Jean-Claude Juncker said: “I call on Turkey as well as on the other actors to act with restraint and to stop operations already, as we are speaking, underway.”
The Associated Press noted that the “EU is paying Turkey 6 billion euros ($6.6 billion) to help the country cope with almost 4 million Syrian refugees on its territory in exchange for stopping migrants leaving for Europe.”
However, the E.U. is threatening to pull the funding. Juncker reportedly said that “if the Turkish plan involves the creation of a so-called safe zone, don’t expect the European Union to pay for any of it.”
Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan announced on Twitter that his country is now moving in to invade northeastern Syria.
Turkish warplanes have already started targeting “civilian areas” in northern Syria, a Kurdish spokesman has reported, saying the airstrikes have caused “a huge panic among people of the region.”
CLICK HERE to read more.
Turkish President Erdogan has announced that a Turkish military operation into Syria has started. Kurdish fighters say Turkish warplanes have begun attacking the region. https://t.co/DHj4lkpr4T
— The Associated Press (@AP) October 9, 2019
To get more information about this article, please visit APNEWS.COM. To weigh in, leave a comment below.
Trending on DML News
- VIDEO: Former child star dies at age 25
- REPORT: Prison officials reveal ‘fear’ of Weinstein incarceration: ‘He may try to …”
- UPDATE: Identity, details emerge on MillerCoors employee who shot dead five colleagues
- VIDEO: Joe Biden tells a WHOPPER on gun violence… and no one called him on it
- JUST IN: Major retailer to close 125 stores, shed 2,000 corporate jobs
- REPORT: Ilhan Omar tweets: ‘This is what America looks like’ [PHOTOS]
- REPORT: Authorities trying to locate hundreds of cruise ship passengers after American traveler tested positive for coronavirus
- REPORT: Clint Eastwood breaks his silence, makes surprising endorsement for 2020 presidential candidate
- REPORT: Coca-Cola reveals how coronavirus is about to make major impact on their product
- REPORT: House Republican rips witness over gun control law claim