BREAKING: US slashing aid to Middle Eastern country, threatens further action
As the most reliable and balanced news aggregation service on the internet, DML News App offers the following information published by APNEWS.COM:
WASHINGTON (AP) — The Trump administration is slashing $1 billion in assistance to Afghanistan and threatening further reductions in all forms of cooperation after the country’s rival leaders failed to agree on forming a new government.
The decision to cut the aid was made on Monday by Secretary of State Mike Pompeo after he made an unannounced, urgent visit to Kabul to meet with Ashraf Ghani and Abdullah Abdullah, the rival Afghan politicians who have each declared themselves president of the country after disputed elections last year. Pompeo had hoped to break the deadlock but was unable to.
The article goes on to state the following:
In an unusually harsh statement, Pompeo slammed the two men for being unable to work together and threatening a potential peace deal that could end America’s longest-running conflict. The U.S. has been the prime backer of the Afghan government since it invaded the country in 2001 and overthrew the Taliban after the 9/11 attacks.
“We have made clear to the leadership that we will not back security operations that are politically motivated, nor support political leaders who order such operations or those who advocate for or support parallel government,” Pompeo said.
According to the statement:
“The United States deeply regrets that Afghan President Ashraf Ghani and former Chief Executive Abdullah Abdullah have informed Secretary Pompeo that they have been unable to agree on an inclusive government that can meet the challenges of governance, peace, and security, and provide for the health and welfare of Afghan citizens.”
“After failing to bridge political divide in Kabul, Pompeo announces $1 billion cut in US aid to Afghanistan as Trump admin turns on economic pressure in efforts to salvage deal with Taliban to get all US troops out of Afghanistan,” Dion Nissenbaum a Beirut-based Wall Street Journal reporter, tweeted.
After failing to bridge political divide in Kabul, Pompeo announces $1 billion cut in US aid to Afghanistan as Trump admin turns on economic pressure in efforts to salvage deal with Taliban to get all US troops out of Afghanistan. https://t.co/KF7WSVz7ux w/@euamiri
— Dion Nissenbaum (@DionNissenbaum) March 24, 2020
After an unannounced trip to Kabul & Doha, Pompeo announces that US decides to cut aid to #Afghanistan by $1B & ready to reduce another $1B in 2021, expressing disappointment with Afghan leaders after a failed attempt to form a gov’t—described as a direct threat to US interests pic.twitter.com/OBBSCDKyp9
— Elif Erşen (@elifbiniciersen) March 23, 2020
— DMLNewsApp (@DMLNewsApp) March 23, 2020
To get more information about this article, please visit APNEWS.COM. To weigh in, leave a comment below.
Trending on DML News
- BREAKING: Trump makes announcement on possible coronavirus quarantines in 3 states
- REPORT: Legendary country singer/songwriter in critical condition
- VIDEO: Dr. Fauci estimates when social distancing guidelines can be lifted
- REPORT: New York nurse shares chilling photo of coronavirus victims to show ‘the ghastly reality’
- BREAKING: China makes admission about coronavirus whistleblower doctor punished by police, who died from the virus
- REPORT: Major retailer to close all stores in the US to limit coronavirus spread
- VIDEO: Mnuchin says when checks from coronavirus bill will be coming
- REPORT: NY hospitals treating coronavirus patients with VITAMIN after promising results
- About (ratings)
- VIDEO: 1st person arrested for violating NY’s COVID-19 executive order