POLL: Do you support releasing prisoners and ICE detainees to ‘protect’ them from COVID-19?
Soon after the coronavirus pandemic began to escalate across the United States, a new movement has grown to empty jails, prisons and ICE detention centers, in order to “protect” those being held from the deadly disesase.
Tuesday evening, New York City mayor Bill de Blasio announced that he will immediately release 300 inmates from Rikers Island who were convicted of misdemeanors or some nonviolent crimes and have less than one year remaining in their sentence.
De Blasio also said he’s working with other state officials to release about 100 others who are awaiting trial in city jails and around 700 people who were in jail on parole violations.
“No one over 70 or with pre-existing conditions should be in our jail system right now and we are working to make that a reality,” he declared.
A number of Democrat lawmakers have echoed the call to set prisoners free, along with illegal aliens being held in ICE detention centers. Additionally, some have demanded that all deportations be stopped.
This week, Rep. Pramila Jayapal (D-Wash.) sent a letter signed by several Democrats to DHS, asking the administration to protect the immigrant community and detained illegal aliens from COVID-19. Among their demands: a “moratorium” on all immigration arrests of individuals who pose no public safety risk and a release of as “many immigrants as possible” from detention.
Somalian refugee Rep. Ilhan Omar (D-Minn.) sent another letter demanding a total halt of all deportations. Additionally, Omar declared on Tuesday that DHS must “release ICE detainees, people held on bail, and anyone qualifies for work release,” along with “a moratorium on incarcerating people who are low risk to others.”
PLEASE TAKE OUR POLL BELOW – WE WANT YOUR OPINION! Is this really about protecting inmates and detainees from the coronavirus? Do you support releasing prisoners and ICE detainees to ‘protect’ them from COVID-19?
Trending on DML News
- REPORT: Legendary country singer/songwriter in critical condition
- BREAKING: China makes admission about coronavirus whistleblower doctor punished by police, who died from the virus
- VIDEO: Dr. Fauci estimates when social distancing guidelines can be lifted
- REPORT: New York nurse shares chilling photo of coronavirus victims to show ‘the ghastly reality’
- REPORT: Major retailer to close all stores in the US to limit coronavirus spread
- REPORT: Chinese markets still selling bats and slaughtering dogs, cats, rabbits in gruesome market scene
- UPDATE: Newborn baby, world’s youngest coronavirus victim, status update
- VIDEO: 1st person arrested for violating NY’s COVID-19 executive order
- REPORT: Top US bank warns recession is already here: ‘Jobs will be lost, wealth will be destroyed’
- BREAKING: Former longtime AZ sheriff Joe Arpaio makes big announcement