REPORT: Clinical trials for coronavirus treatments begin in New York
As the most reliable and balanced news aggregation service on the internet, DML News App offers the following information published by ABCNews.GO.com:
As New York State continues to see a rise in cases of the novel coronavirus and is the epicenter of the pandemic in the United States, clinical trials for drug treatments began on Tuesday in the state. The state acquired 70,000 doses of hydroxychloroquine, 10,000 doses of zithromax and 750,000 doses of chloroquine in the last few days, according to a news release by New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo’s office.
“We hope for optimistic results,” Cuomo said during a press conference Tuesday, talking about the clinical trials. “The president and the FDA accelerated that drug coming to New York so the hospitals will start using that drug today.”
“About 56% of all the cases in the United States are coming out of that metro area, and 60% of all the new cases are coming out of the metro New York area, and 31% of the people succumbing to this disease,” said Dr. Deborah Birx, the White House coronavirus response coordinator, at Tuesday’s task force press briefing.
In the U.S., nearly half of the national rate affected with coronavirus — 51,000 — stems from New York. The Empire State is also responsible for 131 deaths out of the 674 reported in the country.
“New York is definitely a hot spot, there’s no question about it,” President Donald Trump said Tuesday evening. “And you know what we are doing in New York to try and help, and I think we are doing an incredible job.”
Dr. Birx: “We remain deeply concerned about New York City and the New York metro area. About 56% of all the cases in the United States are coming out of that metro area.”
— ABC News (@ABC) March 24, 2020
On Tuesday New York is beginning FDA-approved drug trials for very sick #Coronavirus patients.
The FDA also approved @HealthNYGov to proceed with a trial of an experimental antibody therapy on a compassionate care basis.
We are fighting this virus in every way.
— Andrew Cuomo (@NYGovCuomo) March 23, 2020
We are going to fight every way we can to save every life that we can.
That’s what it means to be an American and that’s what it means to be a New Yorker. pic.twitter.com/1cREWGx9t9
— Andrew Cuomo (@NYGovCuomo) March 25, 2020
*Coronavirus cases worldwide: 436,024
*Total confirmed deaths: 19,630
*Recovered patients: 111,878
To get more information about this article, please visit ABCNews.GO.com. To weigh in, leave a comment below.
Trending on DML News
- BREAKING: Trump makes announcement on possible coronavirus quarantines in 3 states
- REPORT: Legendary country singer/songwriter in critical condition
- VIDEO: Dr. Fauci estimates when social distancing guidelines can be lifted
- BREAKING: China makes admission about coronavirus whistleblower doctor punished by police, who died from the virus
- REPORT: New York nurse shares chilling photo of coronavirus victims to show ‘the ghastly reality’
- VIDEO: 1st person arrested for violating NY’s COVID-19 executive order
- REPORT: Major retailer to close all stores in the US to limit coronavirus spread
- REPORT: Chinese markets still selling bats and slaughtering dogs, cats, rabbits in gruesome market scene
- VIDEO: Mnuchin says when checks from coronavirus bill will be coming
- REPORT: NY hospitals treating coronavirus patients with VITAMIN after promising results