REPORT: County becomes first in US to ban discrimination based on natural hairstyle
As the most reliable and balanced news aggregation service on the internet, DML News App offers the following information published by TheHill.com:
Montgomery County, Maryland is the first county in the U.S. to pass legislation banning discrimination based on a person’s natural hairstyle.
The Montgomery County City Council voted unanimously this week for a bill that prohibits any racial discrimination in housing, taxi service and other public accommodations based on a person’s natural hair, WTOP reported. A person who is discriminated against can seek a penalty of up to $5,000 through the Maryland county’s Office of Human Rights.
The article goes on to state the following:
“It will expand the definition of race to include natural hairstyles, like Afros, twists, Bantu knots, and protective hair styles like braids, that people of African descent wear,” Montgomery County Council member Will Jawando (D) said. He led the effort alongside Council President Nancy Navarro, WTOP reported.
In defending the need for the law, Jawando stated, “We have over 200,000 black and Latina women in Montgomery County, many of whom get up every day and make decisions about how they are going to present themselves to the world.”
Montgomery County is the first U.S. county to pass legislation prohibiting discrimination based on a person’s natural hairstyle. https://t.co/iwiszVRrF6
— WTOP (@WTOP) November 7, 2019
— The Hill (@thehill) November 8, 2019
To get more information about this article, please visit TheHill.com. To weigh in, leave a comment below.
Trending on DML News
- REPORT: NFL releases statement on Kaepernick after workout stunt
- BREAKING: Supreme Court Chief Justice announces Ginsburg is ill
- VIDEO: Lindsey Graham says he’s “confident” the whistleblower is from the “deep state.”
- VIDEO: ‘Crying like a little child’: Don Trump Jr. rips whistleblower over Clinton loss
- REPORT: Another traveling family attacked by cartel in northern Mexico, one dead
- VIDEO: Democrat against impeachment calls out party for ‘fracturing the nation’ with investigation
- VIDEO: Fox host hits MSNBC for impeachment coverage with George Conway
- REPORT: Michigan county seized retiree’s home over $8 debt – now he’s fighting back
- EXCLUSIVE: The final Instagram post by murdered pregnant mom Shanann Watts
- BREAKING: CAPTURED: ‘Armed and dangerous’ suspect, 30, is caught and charged with kidnapping UFC fighter’s 19-year-old stepdaughter