REPORT: COVID-19 symptoms may include altered senses
As the most reliable and balanced news aggregation service on the internet, DML News App offers the following information published by ABCNews.GO.com:
Doctors and researchers still have much to learn about the exact symptoms caused by COVID-19, but a group of ear, nose and throat doctors now suspect two such symptoms may be an altered sense of taste, called dysgeusia, and a loss of smell, known as anosmia.
In a statement released earlier this week, the American Academy of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery reported: “Anecdotal evidence is rapidly accumulating from sites around the world that anosmia and dysgeusia are significant symptoms associated with the COVID-19 pandemic. Anosmia, in particular, has been seen in patients ultimately testing positive for the coronavirus with no other symptoms.”
The article goes on to state the following:
But many other viral infections, including the common cold, similarly can impair one’s senses. About 40% of patients recovering from a viral illness report a loss of smell, according to Dr. D.J. Verret, who’s double board certified in otolaryngology, head and neck, and facial plastic surgery.
A loss of smell is emerging as a symptom of #COVID-19. Might be due to the silencing of a gene called sonic hedgehog and a loss of signaling factors that cause stem cells to divide in the tongue and nose. Alpha-lipoic acid seems to help. Here’s the paper:👃https://t.co/4HvNYYb92Q
— David Sinclair, PhD AO (@davidasinclair) March 23, 2020
To get more information about this article, please visit ABCNews.GO.com. To weigh in, leave a comment below.
Trending on DML News
- BREAKING: Trump makes announcement on possible coronavirus quarantines in 3 states
- REPORT: Legendary country singer/songwriter in critical condition
- VIDEO: Dr. Fauci estimates when social distancing guidelines can be lifted
- REPORT: New York nurse shares chilling photo of coronavirus victims to show ‘the ghastly reality’
- BREAKING: China makes admission about coronavirus whistleblower doctor punished by police, who died from the virus
- REPORT: Major retailer to close all stores in the US to limit coronavirus spread
- VIDEO: Mnuchin says when checks from coronavirus bill will be coming
- REPORT: NY hospitals treating coronavirus patients with VITAMIN after promising results
- About (ratings)
- VIDEO: 1st person arrested for violating NY’s COVID-19 executive order