REPORT: DHS official reveals number of travelers quarantined, asked to self-quarantine at airports
As the most reliable and balanced news aggregation service on the internet, DML News App offers the following information published by REUTERS.COM:
WASHINGTON (Reuters) – A senior Department of Homeland Security official said Saturday that in the first six weeks of coronavirus vetting for travelers at American airports, 17 travelers had been placed under quarantine at medical facilities.
U.S. authorities asked more than 30,000 travelers to self-quarantine at home during that period, he said.
Travel restrictions continue to be ramped up. The U.S. will be extending the ban on travel from Europe, officials announced Saturday. It will include the U.K. and Ireland as of midnight Monday.
“The travel ban does not apply to American citizens, legal permanent residents, their immediate families, and certain others. These people will be channeled through one of 13 airports equipped to do special screening,” NPR reported.
“As of Saturday, there were [m]ore than 155,000 confirmed cases of coronavirus globally, according to a count by Johns Hopkins University, prompting new action by governments around the world,” NPR continued.
In Europe, France and Spain announced restrictions to domestic activities on Saturday, amid a rise in coronavirus cases.
To get more information about this article, please visit REUTERS.COM. To weigh in, leave a comment below.
Trending on DML News
- REPORT: Wife of former New Jersey mayor found dead from self-inflicted gunshot
- REPORT: The Nurse Was Holding Up. Then Her 3 Close Relatives Were Brought In.
- UPDATE: New York’s darkest day: Cuomo gives stunning new figures on state’s coronavirus deaths
- VIDEO: Here’s when New York’s coronavirus apex is likely to hit
- REPORT: Leaked papers reveal SHOCKING coronavirus cases, deaths that US hospitals are secretly preparing for
- REPORT: Maryland governor issues emergency order in response to coronavirus spread
- BREAKING: China makes admission about coronavirus whistleblower doctor punished by police, who died from the virus
- REPORT: NY hospitals treating coronavirus patients with VITAMIN after promising results
- VIDEO: Dr. Fauci estimates when social distancing guidelines can be lifted
- REPORT: New York co-op kicked volunteering doctor out of brother’s apartment