REPORT: Elizabeth Warren pens op-ed calling for big change in police presence in schools
As the most reliable and balanced news aggregation service on the internet, DML News App offers the following information published by TheHill.com:
Sen. Elizabeth Warren (D-Mass.) penned an op-ed Wednesday in Essence , in which she says “enough is enough,” referring to nation’s school-to-prison pipeline.
The 2020 presidential hopeful starts her piece by zeroing in on a recent footage of a New Mexico police officer using excessive force on an 11-year-old girl at a middle school.
The article goes on to state the following:
“That video highlighted the unfortunate reality — that young black and brown students across the country live with this threat every day, and reopened conversation around a central question: why was a police officer there to begin with?” Warren writes.
Warren writes that 14 million American students attend a school with a police officer, but “without a single counselor, social worker, psychologist, or nurse.”
“Enough is enough. No student should have to learn in an environment where there is a threat of incarceration,” Warren declares in her op-ed.
Warren claimed that discipline policies in schools hurts “black and brown students.” She writes:
The result is that in many cases, an infraction as simple as back talking or skipping class that should end in detention or administrative intervention can end in arrest. Over the years, the implementation of policies from Zero-Tolerance to surveillance to criminalizing lateness and absenteeism have created a system of loopholes that trap our most vulnerable students in a pipeline kept alive by the for-profit prison system. It’s a system that disproportionately hurts black and brown students and undermines their learning.
CLICK HERE to read more of this report by The Hill.
No student should have to learn in an environment where there’s a threat of incarceration. I’ve got plans to close the school to prison pipeline and ensure every student has a safe and welcoming place to learn. https://t.co/vH0S6asPEQ
— Elizabeth Warren (@ewarren) November 6, 2019
— The Hill (@thehill) November 6, 2019
To get more information about this article, please visit TheHill.com. To weigh in, leave a comment below.
Trending on DML News
- REPORT: NFL releases statement on Kaepernick after workout stunt
- BREAKING: Supreme Court Chief Justice announces Ginsburg is ill
- VIDEO: Lindsey Graham says he’s “confident” the whistleblower is from the “deep state.”
- VIDEO: ‘Crying like a little child’: Don Trump Jr. rips whistleblower over Clinton loss
- REPORT: Another traveling family attacked by cartel in northern Mexico, one dead
- VIDEO: Democrat against impeachment calls out party for ‘fracturing the nation’ with investigation
- VIDEO: Fox host hits MSNBC for impeachment coverage with George Conway
- REPORT: Michigan county seized retiree’s home over $8 debt – now he’s fighting back
- VIDEO: Former police officer fires back at Joy Behar for suggesting politicians keep gun confiscation a ‘secret’
- EXCLUSIVE: The final Instagram post by murdered pregnant mom Shanann Watts