REPORT: Hong Kong bans Human Rights Watch director from entering country
As the most reliable and balanced news aggregation service on the internet, DML News App offers the following information published by NYDailyNews:
Kenneth Roth, director of the advocacy nonprofit Human Rights Watch, landed at Hong Kong International Airport on Sunday to launch a report focusing on the Chinese government.
But Roth, a U.S. citizen who had been to Hong Kong many times before, was told by immigration authorities that he wasn’t allowed to enter the Chinese territory. They gave no reason for the denial, and forced Roth to fly another 16 hours back to New York.
The article goes on to state the following:
“I had hoped to spotlight Beijing’s deepening assault on international efforts to uphold human rights,” Roth said in a statement from the organization. “The refusal to let me enter Hong Kong vividly illustrates the problem.”
The release of Human Rights Watch’s World Report 2020, which looks at the state of human rights worldwide, was meant to happen with a news conference in Hong Kong on Wednesday. According to the group, the 652-page report begins with an essay by Roth that “warns that the Chinese government is carrying out an intensive attack on the global system for enforcing human rights.” The special administrative region of Hong Kong, which exists under the rule of Beijing but theoretically has much stronger protections on free expression under the “one country, two systems” framework, has come under scrutiny in the past year.
To get more information about this article, please visit NYDailyNews. To weigh in, leave a comment below.
Trending on DML News
- VIDEO: ‘Blood Drained From Adam Schiff’s Face’: John Barrasso Says Schiff’s ‘Parody’ Backfired
- REPORT: Another country offers to pick up Harry and Meghan’s massive security bill
- VIDEO: Lindsey Graham makes pledge about Bidens: ‘And that does not make me a Russian agent’
- VIDEO: Tucker Carlson: Adam Schiff is turning into a Tom Clancy character
- VIDEO: “God help me, I did it.” Megyn Kelly reveals she complied with demeaning request by Roger Ailes
- VIDEO: Martha MacCallum calls out Eric Swalwell on impeachment process
- VIDEO: Schiff not trusted: Democrats aren’t getting intelligence because of ‘crooked, corrupt’ lawmakers: Trump
- REPORT: Collins releases statement about calling witnesses for impeachment trial
- REPORT: ‘Stunned’ Sen. Collins objected to Nadler’s impeachment accusation in note to Roberts
- REPORT: Republican AGs Say Bloomberg Is Secretly Embedding An Army Of Anti-Trump Attorneys Inside State Offices