REPORT: Judge gives HUGE win to Trump admin on family separations
As the most reliable and balanced news aggregation service on the internet, DML News App offers the following information published by YAHOO.COM:
SAN DIEGO (AP) — A U.S. judge ruled Monday that the Trump administration is operating within its authority when separating families stopped at the Mexico border, rejecting arguments that it was quietly returning to widespread practices that drew international condemnation.
The American Civil Liberties Union argued that the administration was splitting families over dubious allegations and minor transgressions including traffic offenses.
The article goes on to state the following:
It asked the judge in July to rule on whether the government was justified in separating 911 children during the first year after the judge halted the general practice in June 2018.
“It is an invitation that is potentially massive in scope, invades an area that is particularly within the province of the executive branch to secure the nation’s border, and goes beyond this court’s class certification and preliminary injunction orders, which were focused on the administration’s practice of separating families at the border for the purpose of deterring immigration, and failing to reunify those families,” U.S. District Judge Dana Sabraw wrote in a 26-page decision, indicating he won’t second-guess the government’s decisions as he found no evidence it was abusing its discretion.
The ACLU was handed a win as the judge said the government must settle doubts about parentage before separating families.
The government separates children “on grounds that parents were considered unfit or dangerous, or in other limited circumstances like criminal history, communicable diseases and doubts about parentage,” Yahoo reports.
A U.S. judge has ruled that the Trump administration is operating within its authority when separating families stopped at the Mexico border. https://t.co/TYO2AU5w3T
— AP West Region (@APWestRegion) January 14, 2020
— The Hill (@thehill) January 14, 2020
Judge rejects arguments over family separations at border https://t.co/0ljbDOdTjX
— FOX40 News (@FOX40) January 14, 2020
To get more information about this article, please visit YAHOO.COM. To weigh in, leave a comment below.
Trending on DML News
- VIDEO: ‘Blood Drained From Adam Schiff’s Face’: John Barrasso Says Schiff’s ‘Parody’ Backfired
- REPORT: News outlet blasted by police for breaking news of Kobe Bryant’s death before family could be notified
- REPORT: Another country offers to pick up Harry and Meghan’s massive security bill
- VIDEO: Lindsey Graham makes pledge about Bidens: ‘And that does not make me a Russian agent’
- VIDEO: Tucker Carlson: Adam Schiff is turning into a Tom Clancy character
- VIDEO: “God help me, I did it.” Megyn Kelly reveals she complied with demeaning request by Roger Ailes
- VIDEO: Martha MacCallum calls out Eric Swalwell on impeachment process
- VIDEO: Schiff not trusted: Democrats aren’t getting intelligence because of ‘crooked, corrupt’ lawmakers: Trump
- REPORT: Collins releases statement about calling witnesses for impeachment trial
- REPORT: ‘Stunned’ Sen. Collins objected to Nadler’s impeachment accusation in note to Roberts