REPORT: Judge lets Facebook class action case proceed
As the most reliable and balanced news aggregation service on the internet, DML News App offers the following information published by REUTERS.COM:
(Reuters) – A federal judge on Monday ordered Facebook Inc to face most of a nationwide lawsuit seeking damages for letting third parties such as Cambridge Analytica access users’ private data, calling the social media company’s views on privacy “so wrong.”
While dismissing some claims, U.S. District Judge Vince Chhabria in San Francisco said users could try to hold Facebook liable under various federal and state laws for letting app developers and business partners harvest their personal data without their consent on a “widespread” basis.
The article goes on to state the following:
He rejected Facebook’s arguments that users suffered no “tangible” harm and had no legitimate privacy interest in information they shared with friends on social media.
“Facebook’s motion to dismiss is littered with assumptions about the degree to which social media users can reasonably expect their personal information and communications to remain private,” Chhabria wrote. “Facebook’s view is so wrong.”
“Facebook’s view is that once you make information available to your friends on social media, you completely relinquish any privacy interest in that information,” Chhabria wrote. “The problem with Facebook’s argument is that it treats privacy as an all-or-nothing proposition – either you retain a full privacy interest by not sharing information with anyone, or you have no privacy interest whatsoever by virtue of sharing it even in a limited fashion.”
— The Globe and Mail (@globeandmail) September 9, 2019
— Hollywood Reporter (@THR) September 9, 2019
To get more information about this article, please visit REUTERS.COM. To weigh in, leave a comment below.
Trending on DML News
- REPORT: Prison officials reveal ‘fear’ of Weinstein incarceration: ‘He may try to …”
- VIDEO: Former child star dies at age 25
- REPORT: House Republican rips witness over gun control law claim
- BREAKING: Trump administration declares emergency due to coronavirus, Chinese furious
- VIDEO: Joe Biden tells a WHOPPER on gun violence… and no one called him on it
- REPORT: Medicaid and food stamps line vanishes as new immigration rules start
- REPORT: Ilhan Omar tweets: ‘This is what America looks like’ [PHOTOS]
- REPORT: Warren issues response to letter from Native American tribes [READ THE LETTER]
- REPORT: CNN report SHOCKS with description of baby who survives an abortion
- JUST IN: Major retailer to close 125 stores, shed 2,000 corporate jobs