REPORT: McConnell blasts out warning to Trump over withdrawing troops from Syria
As the most reliable and balanced news aggregation service on the internet, DML News App offers the following information published by TheHill.com:
Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) on Monday warned President Trump against pulling U.S. forces out of key positions in Syria, arguing that it “would only benefit Russia, Iran, and the Assad regime,” which is responsible for thousands of civilian deaths.
McConnell in a statement reminded Trump that the Senate voted earlier this year, with overwhelming Republican support, in favor of a resolution expressing strong opposition to a military withdrawal from Syria and Afghanistan.
The article goes on to state the following:
“The conditions that produced that bipartisan vote still exist today. While the physical caliphate has been removed, ISIS and al Qaeda remain dangerous forces in Syria and the ongoing Syrian civil war poses significant security and humanitarian risks,” McConnell stated.
Below is the full statement posted on McConnell’s website:
“In January, a supermajority of the U.S. Senate voted for an amendment that expressed bipartisan concern about the continuing threat posed by ISIS and Al Qaeda in Syria, appreciation of the long-term American security interests in Syria and the region, and support for a continued military presence in northeastern Syria.
“The conditions that produced that bipartisan vote still exist today. While the physical caliphate has been removed, ISIS and al Qaeda remain dangerous forces in Syria and the ongoing Syrian civil war poses significant security and humanitarian risks.
“A precipitous withdrawal of U.S. forces from Syria would only benefit Russia, Iran, and the Assad regime. And it would increase the risk that ISIS and other terrorist groups regroup.
“I urge the President to exercise American leadership to keep together our multinational coalition to defeat ISIS and prevent significant conflict between our NATO ally Turkey and our local Syrian counterterrorism partners. Major new conflict between Turkey and our partners in Syria would seriously risk damaging Turkey’s ties to the United States and causing greater isolation for Turkey on the world stage.
“As we learned the hard way during the Obama Administration, American interests are best served by American leadership, not by retreat or withdrawal.”
My statement on Turkey and U.S. partners in Syria. https://t.co/6ha3zUhSQO
— Leader McConnell (@senatemajldr) October 7, 2019
— The Hill (@thehill) October 7, 2019
To get more information about this article, please visit TheHill.com. To weigh in, leave a comment below.
Trending on DML News
- VIDEO: Former child star dies at age 25
- REPORT: Another royal break. This time it’s Prince William and Kate Middleton, but its not an exit
- REPORT: Comey posts message to AG William Barr
- VIDEO: CNN Anchor Tells Nancy Pelosi That Trump Was Acquitted — She Interrupts, Claims He Wasn’t
- UPDATE: New details about Daytona 500 driver Ryan Newman following fiery crash
- VIDEO: Melania Stuns In Gorgeous Sleeveless Black And White Sundress At Daytona 500 [PHOTOS]
- REPORT: Judges’ association calls emergency meeting in wake of Stone sentencing reversal
- REPORT: Hillary Clinton finally responds to backlash over Sanders remark: ‘I thought…’
- VIDEO: Maxine Waters makes shocking claim that rich donors should influence elections
- REPORT: The New England Patriots Are Reportedly Eying This Quarterback