REPORT: Top CDC official warns New York’s coronavirus outbreak is just a preview
As the most reliable and balanced news aggregation service on the internet, DML News App offers the following information published by TheHill.com:
American health officials are deeply concerned that the coronavirus outbreak that has overwhelmed New York City hospitals in recent days is just the first in a wave of local outbreaks likely to strike cities across the country in the coming weeks.
In an exclusive interview, Dr. Anne Schuchat, the principal deputy director of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), said her agency is seeing early signs that the number of cases in other cities are already beginning to spike. While New York City is home to almost half the cases in the country at the moment, other cities are seeing their case counts rising at alarming rates.
The article goes on to state the following:
“We’re looking at our flu syndromic data, our respiratory illness that presents at emergency departments. Across the country there’s a number of areas that are escalating. The numbers in New York are so large that they show up, but we’re looking at increases over time and we’re really seeing some in a number of places. It would be surprising to me based on what I’ve seen about how this virus spreads if it were not going to increase in many other parts of the country,” Schuchat said.
Experts have warned that New Orleans is likely to be the next “epicenter” in the U.S. for the coronavirus. The Hill noted that Schuchat declined to name any particular cities, but said she advised the CDC has dispatched teams to Louisiana, Wisconsin and Colorado, among others.
Already, the CDC has deployed about 1,500 of its epidemiologists, scientists and experts to hot spots around the country, including the New York City area and Seattle, the article states.
As of Thursday afternoon, 82,179 cases of coronavirus have been reported in the U.S., with 1,177 deaths.
— The Hill (@thehill) March 26, 2020
To get more information about this article, please visit TheHill.com. To weigh in, leave a comment below.
Trending on DML News
- VIDEO: Footage of 7-year-old girl in Black Lives Matter march goes viral
- VIDEO: ‘Guardian Angel’ describes violent battle with mob of hundreds of NY looters: ‘We don’t surrender or retreat’
- REPORT: Graham makes announcement on Russia probe subpoena vote
- REPORT: Lincoln Memorial and WWII Memorial among DC landmarks vandalized during riots [PHOTOS]
- WATCH: Woman blasts ladies as RACIST for cleaning graffiti off building in shocking viral video
- VIDEOS: De Blasio drowned out by boos, calls to resign at George Floyd memorial
- REPORT: Charlotte newspaper posts scathing op-ed on Trump seeking another city for GOP convention