REPORT: Trump OKs wider Syria oil mission, raising legal questions
As the most reliable and balanced news aggregation service on the internet, DML News App offers the following information published by Military Times:
WASHINGTON — President Donald Trump has approved an expanded military mission to secure an expanse of oil fields across eastern Syria, raising a number of difficult legal questions about whether U.S. troops can launch strikes against Syrian, Russian or other forces if they threaten the oil, U.S. officials said.
The decision, coming after a meeting Friday between Trump and his defense leaders, locks hundreds of U.S. troops into a more complicated presence in Syria, despite the president’s vow to get America out of the war. Under the new plan, troops would protect a large swath of land controlled by Syrian Kurdish fighters that stretches nearly 90 miles (150 kilometers) from Deir el-Zour to al-Hassakeh, but its exact size is still being determined.
The article goes on to state the following:
Officials said many details still have to be worked out. But, Trump’s decision hands commanders a victory in their push to remain in the country to prevent any resurgence of the Islamic State group, counter Iran and partner with the Kurds, who battled IS alongside the U.S. for several years. But it also forces lawyers in the Pentagon to craft orders for the troops that could see them firing on Syrian government or Russian fighters trying to take back oil facilities that sit within the sovereign nation of Syria.
Syrian regime forces swept in to the town of Mulla Abbas and drove next to oil wells and oil facilities, showing the Syrian regime flag and celebrating their reconquest of eastern #Syria. https://t.co/qsjm1rutrs
— The Jerusalem Post (@Jerusalem_Post) November 5, 2019
To get more information about this article, please visit Military Times. To weigh in, leave a comment below.
Trending on DML News
- REPORT: NFL releases statement on Kaepernick after workout stunt
- BREAKING: Supreme Court Chief Justice announces Ginsburg is ill
- VIDEO: Lindsey Graham says he’s “confident” the whistleblower is from the “deep state.”
- VIDEO: ‘Crying like a little child’: Don Trump Jr. rips whistleblower over Clinton loss
- REPORT: Another traveling family attacked by cartel in northern Mexico, one dead
- VIDEO: Democrat against impeachment calls out party for ‘fracturing the nation’ with investigation
- VIDEO: Fox host hits MSNBC for impeachment coverage with George Conway
- REPORT: Michigan county seized retiree’s home over $8 debt – now he’s fighting back
- VIDEO: Former police officer fires back at Joy Behar for suggesting politicians keep gun confiscation a ‘secret’
- EXCLUSIVE: The final Instagram post by murdered pregnant mom Shanann Watts