REPORT: US citizen dies in foreign prison after hunger strike
As the most reliable and balanced news aggregation service on the internet, DML News App offers the following information published by TheHill.com:
U.S. citizen Mustafa Kassem died in Egyptian prison, where he has been since 2013, after going on a hunger strike, his lawyers confirmed to ABC News Monday.
Kassem, 54, died of heart failure following the hunger strike, which he is believed to have started in September 2018, according to Pretrial Rights International, who represented the American captive.
The article goes on to state the following:
“Last Thursday, he ceased taking liquids and was shortly thereafter transferred to a local hospital, where he passed away today in the late afternoon (local time),” the Pretrial Rights International said in a statement obtained by ABC News.
Kassem reportedly sent letters to President Donald J. Trump and Vice President Mike Pence when he decided to go on a hunger strike.
“Dear President Trump: As an American beginning the hunger strike that could leave my two young children without a father and make my wife a widow, I pray that you secure my freedom,” Kassem reportedly wrote.
Detained US citizen Mustafa Kassem dies in #Egypt amid hunger strike.
— Mona Eltahawy (@monaeltahawy) January 13, 2020
Saddened to hear of the passing of Mustafa Kassem, #American citizen detained in #Egypt. As Asst. Sec. of State David Schenker put it, “his death in custody was needless, tragic, and avoidable.” https://t.co/HfWvjfwsGo
— Jared Genser (@JaredGenser) January 13, 2020
A US citizen detained in Egypt, Mustafa Kassem, has died.
This is what his family worried about, especially after Egypt’s jailed former leader died last year.
Trump made a big deal of bringing home one American from Egypt. He never mentioned Kassem.
— Akbar Shahid Ahmed (@AkbarSAhmed) January 13, 2020
To get more information about this article, please visit TheHill.com. To weigh in, leave a comment below.
Trending on DML News
- VIDEO: ‘Blood Drained From Adam Schiff’s Face’: John Barrasso Says Schiff’s ‘Parody’ Backfired
- REPORT: Another country offers to pick up Harry and Meghan’s massive security bill
- VIDEO: Lindsey Graham makes pledge about Bidens: ‘And that does not make me a Russian agent’
- VIDEO: Tucker Carlson: Adam Schiff is turning into a Tom Clancy character
- REPORT: News outlet blasted by police for breaking news of Kobe Bryant’s death before family could be notified
- VIDEO: “God help me, I did it.” Megyn Kelly reveals she complied with demeaning request by Roger Ailes
- VIDEO: Martha MacCallum calls out Eric Swalwell on impeachment process
- VIDEO: Schiff not trusted: Democrats aren’t getting intelligence because of ‘crooked, corrupt’ lawmakers: Trump
- REPORT: Collins releases statement about calling witnesses for impeachment trial
- REPORT: ‘Stunned’ Sen. Collins objected to Nadler’s impeachment accusation in note to Roberts