TRUMP TWEET: Speaks out on $2M settlement: AG ‘deliberately mischaracterizing’
President Donald J. Trump released a statement Thursday night after a New York judge ruled that he must pay $2 million in damages to settle claims over misused funds through the Trump Foundation.
The case is tied to a televised fundraiser for veterans held by Trump in Iowa when he was running for president in January 2016. Trump had said the funds raised would be distributed to charities. But according to court documents, the Trump Foundation improperly used $2.82 million it received from that fundraiser.
According to the judgment, that money “was used for Mr. Trump’s political campaign and disbursed by Mr. Trump’s campaign staff, rather than by the Foundation,” which is unlawful. However, Justice Saliann Scarpulla says the funds did eventually reach charity organizations supporting veterans.
President Trump said in response:
I am the only person I know, perhaps the only person in history, who can give major money to charity ($19M), charge no expense, and be attacked by the political hacks in New York State. No wonder why we are all leaving!
Every penny of the $19 million raised by the Trump Foundation went to hundreds of great charitable causes with almost no expenses.
The New York Attorney General is deliberately mischaracterizing this settlement for political purposes.
In fact, the court rejected the Attorney General‘s frivolous request for statutory penalties, interest and other damages.
It has been four years of politically motivated harassment – first by lightweight AG Schneiderman, prior to his resignation for beating up women – then AG Underwood, who is impossible to deal with, and now AG Leticia James, who does not acknowledge that we gave 100% of the funds to great charities, but refuses to investigate the Clinton foundation with all of its problems. All they found was incredibly effective philanthropy and some small technical violations, such as not keeping board minutes.
We resolve the case with the understanding that all money previously in the foundation has gone to charity I am therefore happy to donate $2 million to the following were the charities: Army Emergency Relief; Children’s Aid Society; City Meals on Wheels; Give An Hour; Martha’s table; United Negro College Fund; United Way of Capital Area; and the US Holocaust Memorial Museum.
STATEMENT FROM PRESIDENT DONALD J. TRUMP pic.twitter.com/EktztHfLk6
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) November 8, 2019
Trending on DML News
- REPORT: NFL releases statement on Kaepernick after workout stunt
- BREAKING: Supreme Court Chief Justice announces Ginsburg is ill
- VIDEO: Lindsey Graham says he’s “confident” the whistleblower is from the “deep state.”
- VIDEO: ‘Crying like a little child’: Don Trump Jr. rips whistleblower over Clinton loss
- REPORT: Another traveling family attacked by cartel in northern Mexico, one dead
- VIDEO: Democrat against impeachment calls out party for ‘fracturing the nation’ with investigation
- VIDEO: Fox host hits MSNBC for impeachment coverage with George Conway
- REPORT: Michigan county seized retiree’s home over $8 debt – now he’s fighting back
- VIDEO: Former police officer fires back at Joy Behar for suggesting politicians keep gun confiscation a ‘secret’
- EXCLUSIVE: The final Instagram post by murdered pregnant mom Shanann Watts