VIDEO: Mexican president: Coronavirus bailout will help poor, not major companies
As the most reliable and balanced news aggregation service on the internet, DML News App offers the following information published by TheHill.com:
Mexican President Andres Manuel Lopez Obrador on Monday said the country’s coronavirus stimulus package will focus on helping the poor as opposed to major corporations.
“If we have to rescue someone, who do we have to rescue? The poor,” he said during a press conference, adding that more details of the plan would be revealed on Tuesday. “No more rescues in the style of the neo-liberal period, that provided for banks, big companies. They shouldn’t even be thinking that there will be tax forgiveness or other mechanisms that were used before.”
The article goes on to state the following:
On Monday, 367 cases of coronavirus were reported in Mexico, up from 316 the day before, with a total of four deaths in the country. Though local governments have taken upon themselves to cancel classes and public health officials have launched educational campaigns, little has been done to assure the Mexican workforce that if they miss days they’ll still be compensated. Lopez Obrador has yet to take drastic measures to enforce self-isolation and has even encouraged citizens to continue commerce as normal.
Lopez Obrador’s management of the pandemic has drawn ire from other international leaders, such as El Salvador’s President Nayib Bukele. Since the outbreak of coronavirus, the South American country mandated a 30-day quarantine for all its citizens, while supplying them with stimulus checks and halting rent collection.
“I’m begging [Mexico] to take drastic and overwhelming measures amid this pandemic, Mexico is a very big country and so should be its responsibility,” Bukele tweeted.
#Mundo Presidente de México, Andrés Manuel López Obrador, dijo a los ciudadanos que “no dejen de salir, yo les diré cuándo no salgan”. Además pidió que no “entren en pánico”. #NoticiasTVN pic.twitter.com/55WjjnsoTP
— TVN Noticias (@tvnnoticias) March 23, 2020
Le ruego que tomen medidas drásticas y contundentes ante esta pandemia, México es un país muy grande y así debería ser su responsabilidad.
De lo contrario, en 20 días el epicentro de la pandemia no será Europa, si no Norteamérica.
Dejen de ver esto como algo normal, por favor.
— Nayib Bukele (@nayibbukele) March 17, 2020
— DMLNewsApp (@DMLNewsApp) March 24, 2020
*Coronavirus cases worldwide: 396,211
*Total confirmed deaths: 17,250
*Recovered patients: 103,748
To get more information about this article, please visit TheHill.com. To weigh in, leave a comment below.
Trending on DML News
- COMMENTARY: Kobach: The Riots Remind Us Why We Need the Second Amendment
- WATCH: CNN’s Jim Acosta Shouts at Trump: ‘Is This Still a Democracy?’
- REPORT: Lincoln Memorial and WWII Memorial among DC landmarks vandalized during riots [PHOTOS]
- BREAKING: Trump approval at Gallup ‘highest,’ better than Obama, Bush
- EXCLUSIVE: Hillary Clinton taunts Trump with two photos, and two words
- REPORT: Trump tells governors on call what they must do with rioters
- REPORT: Facebook employees stage ‘virtual walkout’ over Trump
- REPORT: Actress Hopeful After Protesters Breach Perimeter Near White House
- VIDEO: Democratic congresswoman says she got pepper-sprayed at George Floyd protest